Various special locations of our life such as engagement shoots, birthdays, maternity snaps, save the date announcements, family portraits, etc usually draw us towards getting the moments photo shoot through professionals. The photographs preserve throughout our life, placing them in the different place in our house or albums. And with the growing usage of technology, we post them on our Instagram feed, Facebook profile, or other social media platforms, which means that the outfit we are sporting in the photographs is quite crucial.
Deciding upon what to wear for a photoshoot maybe quite headache giving for those who want the photo shoot not merely for fun and creating memories but for some professional purposes. The outfit we choose to display in photography reflects our personality, and if it is a group photograph, it also displays the relationship we share with them. Our outfit is quite responsible for a great or a pathetic photoshoot, so there are few best clothing tips for photoshoot ideas rendered by professional lifestyle photographers from behind the camera. These are in specific for professional models who want to get their modeling portfolio done to the best as it helps to create a good look book to be shared with modeling agencies.
Few words for to-be-professional models
Clothing is a costume for a commercial model, which means the outfit you choose for your modeling photoshoot should convincingly reflect your personality and character. Your portfolio for the professional purpose should focus on you rather than your clothing, jewelry, makeup, or photographs creativity. the sole aim of getting the professional modeling portfolio done by a professional photographer is to promote you and nothing else.
1) Choose the right color. Always better to choose a favorite solid color dress in which you find yourself most comfortable. Floral prints or other patterns are absolute no because that could be distracting in your portfolio.
2) Fitting of the clothes must be proper. This doesn’t mean you could go with tight clothes because you prefer them. Instead, the photographs turned out to be excellent should be focused by your outfit choice.
3) Fashion photography is not about wearing fashionable or trendy clothes. Its basic aim is to showcase your ability to look and act as a real beautiful personality.
4) Always try a good mix of colors and styles in your different photographs so that your portfolio does not reflect your favorite color and clothing style. This might restrict your versatility with modeling agencies.
5) Jewelry is always big no.
6) Try wearing warm and earthy tones for the best modeling photographs avoiding white and light pastel shades.
7) Until you are getting yourself shoot for model photography by professional having years of experience as a photographer, avoid wearing V-neck. A lot of photographs in your portfolio should have mixed up necklines dresses.
8) Shirts with textures are great for a headshot. So, try to avoid wearing spaghetti, tank top or sleeveless shirts if you are getting ready for a headshots photo shoot.
9) A jocular idiom has somewhere referred that the clothes you beg, borrow or steal makes you look the most appealing and attractive. So, if you are not having the perfect clothes for your modeling photo shoot and does not want to spend money on your outfit that you might never want or need to wear again, check it out with friends or relatives.
Very probably you will find a good outfit that will suit your requirements.
10) If you have a friend with a designer fashion house, you can get your photo shoot done at their studio. Many model portfolio photography has been taking place inside such studios. That could be a bit expensive but nor impossible.
Summing up the tips
Choosing your perfect outfit for the shoot depends upon the type of modeling you are hoping and conceiving to pursue like a commercial, fashion, street, etc. Modeling photography agencies want their models to shoot mostly not in the flashy or colorful clothes, as the focus of such shooting is on the model, showing off their frames and how the model look. These modeling photographers have no intention of promoting the clothing brand, print or patterns (unless contracted for same). Oversized clothes and jewelry are a big no. Always remember to bring a lot of extra pairs of clothes to your modeling shoot. An entire portfolio with the same two or three outfits would not look appealing, and a lot of pictures means a lot of changes in clothing.
An only well-lit photography site can create the desired effect, so ask your photographer to keep the set the same way. Get your photographs clicked all-colored which you can later get edited to Black and white effect using photography tools.
Author : The Jigsaw staff writer Simran Aggarwal